Main Menu:

About Us

 Our Mission

The staff of the John F. McCloskey Elementary School will provide a safe, nurturing environment where all students can achieve at high academic levels. To ensure that all students reach their potential,  we will maintain high expectations and promote academic excellence for all students.  We will prepare our students to become independent learners with the desired skills and abilities necessary for longtime learning which respects and values diversity and nurtures the self esteem of every individual.

Statement of Philosophy

John F. McCloskey School is the Home of Happy Students, Dedicated Staff, and Community-Centered Leadership. We move to the positive pulse of the Mount Airy Community, and make every educational decision with high expectations for our students reaching their full potential.

To visit the McCloskey campus is to walk beautiful grounds with shared playground equipment in the rear schoolyard area. Inside features polished hallways, engaging print-rich classrooms, topped off by an acoustic wood auditorium. We strive to expose our students to a variety of real-world subject matter, and attempt to do so with regular assemblies throughout the school year.

We learn about violence prevention, neighborhood safety, anti-bullying, and daily nutrition in a whole group setting to foster richer understanding and cultural staying power.

Who was John F. McCloskey?

The John F. McCloskey School of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was named after the late John Francis McCloskey of Montgomery County. He was a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Medical School. He served in the Spanish-American War. After the war, McCloskey returned to school to study medicine.

After graduating in 1901, McCloskey interned at St. Mary’s Hospital. On locating to Chestnut Hill, he and several physicians saw the need for a hospital facility in their area. So, in 1907 the group purchased the large mansion located at 8837 Germantown Avenue, which today is known as the Chestnut Hill Hospital.

John F. McCloskey was a Clinical Professor of Surgery in the Woman’s Medical College (Medical College of Pennsylvania) 1932-1942. He was instrumental in securing the Morris Arboretum for the University of Pennsylvania and was the director until his death.

McCloskey was one of the founders of the Chestnut Hill Title and Trust Company and served on the board of directors. He was appointed to the Fairmount Park Commission.

John F. McCloskey was known to be a cheerful, optimistic and courageous individual who was always willing to give a hand. McCloskey was married to Pauline Grotz. They had four sons; John, Robert, Paul and Thomas. The family continues to stay in contact with the principal of the school.

 

Last modified: December 9, 2017